As of September 1st, 2015 the incredible area of Gardens of the King, called Cayo Santa María, is under the exclusive fishing operation of Fly Fishing The Run. This area had been known as the Tarpon Paradise of the North Coast of Cuba, a world class destination for Tarpon on the fly.
The fishing is located at Cayo Las Brujas, Villa Clara, the western sector of the Jardines del Rey (Gardens of the King). It is a 3½ hour drive (or a short flight) from Havana.
This is still a relatively unknown fishing area but it has proved to be particularly good for large, migratory tarpon. Also caught in good numbers are jacks, barracuda, snapper and grouper. The tarpon fishing is world class. Fish from 10 to 40 lbs are present all year round, and very big fish up to 100 lbs+ start to show up in significant numbers between late March and August.
Fishing for big snapper and jacks on the fly is also a great experience. In deeper water, the Bahamas Channel offshore offers good possibilities for wahoo, dorado and tuna.
Additionally, there is a vast area of flats where it is expected that the fishing for bonefish and permit will gradually improve over time with the careful management of this resouce that is now being adopted.
There are 8 Dolphin Super Skiffs double skiffs available with Yamaha 70hp engines. They are all equipped for fly and spinning, with cooler, life jackets, first aid kit, and radios. They are suitable for fishing the very shallow water as well as on the reefs and drop offs located nearby.
The normal Programme runs from Saturday to the following Sunday week, as follows:
• Flight arrival in Havana
• Greeted at airport, transfer to hotel (transfer not included).
• Night at 4-Star Hotel (included in package)
• 9:00 am Meet in Hotel lobby for transfer to the 5 star Iberostar Hotel Ensenachos; Free afternoon
• Night at Hotel Ensenachos
Monday to Saturday:
• 7.30 am wake-up call, breakfast
• Fishing full day with packed lunch
• Return in the afternoon
• Nights at Hotel Ensenachos
• Wake-up /breakfast
• Ground Transfer to Havana International Airport
Accommodation is provided at the stunning 5* Iberostar Ensenachos all-inclusive Hotel, in a Suite Spa Double Room, at Cayo Ensenachos.
Rates – 2018/19:
Price includes per person; 1 skiff/guide/2 person
Maximum 4 skiffs or 8 anglers
Fishing weeks are Saturday to Saturday
Low Season – US$ 3,640/person (non-angler US$1,980):
Mid Season – US$4,460 (non-angler US$1,980):
High Season – US$5,320 (non-angler US$1,980):
– Reception in Havana airport
– All transfers inside Cuba as per program above
– 7 nights Iberostar Ensenachos All Inclusive 5 Star Resort , Spa Suite DBL Room
– 6 full days fishing, sharing a skiff
– Box lunch and beverages while fishing on skiff
– VIP Service in Havana Airport
– Transfers between International airport and Hotel in Havana, on arrival and departure
– Extra beverages and food
– Tips and Cuban visa
– Fishing Gear
– Single fishing skiff US$ 2,000
– SGL Room Resort Upgrade US$500.00 p.p. (both anglers need to pay)
– Grand Villa Resort Upgrade US$400.00 p.p (upgrade to DBL Grand Villa Room)
– Transfer for groups les than 4 people US$250.00 p.p
A deposit of 50% confirms a reservation. The balance is payable 60 days before commencement of the programme.